Friday, January 4, 2019

What To Do About The Agony Of ‘Adulting’ (At Any Age)

So you're divorced. Maybe this is the first time you've had to take on some of the tasks of "adulting" solo. Here's my piece about why it's difficult, and how to make it easier.

I’ve been hearing about “adulting” from many of my clients, as in, “I spent all morning at the bank, getting the car washed, and taking my mother’s emotional support animal to the vet…#adulting.”


When I saw the headline in my Sunday paper, “Learning to ‘Adult,” I realized “adulting” wasn’t just a passing linguistic hiccup. One of the local colleges is running a series of talks called “#Adulting.”

Some have complained about the term. They find it sexist, which hardly seems apt, since men use it too. They find it gross, but I find it ironically self-reflective. Like making blonde jokes when you’re blonde, it shows you don’t take yourself too seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment